Home Page

What is the SEN Register?

The SEN (Special Educational Needs) Register is a list of children who need extra help because they have some sort of difficulty that affects their learning.  


With some children their area of difficulty is clear.  With other children the actual difficulty is less clear, but because they are not making good progress, additional support needs to be put in place.


Children can be placed on the SEN Register because they have difficulties in any of these areas:


  • Communication and Interaction Difficulties  (includes Autistic Spectrum Disorder)
  • Learning and Cognition Difficulties (includes dyslexia)
  • Social, Emotional or Mental Health Difficulties (includes behavioural difficulties) 
  • Sensory or Physical Difficulties  (includes Hearing or Visual Impairment).

There are different categories of need on the SEN Register.  They are called:


SEN Support

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

(this has replaced Statements)


In addition to this Leicester City Education Department has another category that sits between SEN Support and EHCP called:

School Contract


Click on the link below for an explanation of these different categories on the SEN Register.

At Queensmead Primary Academy we usually have approximately 100 children on our SEN Register.  The biggest areas of need are speech and language and learning difficulties.